Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.

James 1:27

He predestined us for adoption to sonship through Jesus Christ, in accordance with His pleasure and will— to the praise of his glorious grace, which He has freely given us in the One He loves.

Ephesians 1:5-6

Learn to do good. Seek justice. Help the oppressed. Defend the cause of orphans. Fight for the rights of widows.

Isaiah 1:17

Wednesday, November 13, 2013




So day one was flying flying annnnnd more flying. But it started with the hardest moment I think I have ever experienced.  From the we arrived at the airport everything step seemed like an out of body experience. I am not and probably never will be a world traveler. I like to stay in my safe predictable surroundings…with my children! So when we got to the airport my mind didn’t know quit how to operate. I felt like I should focus on the task at hand, tickets, luggage figuring out where to go, but I also didn’t want to miss one second of being with my sweet babies and saying goodbye. So we went to the last stop before getting onto the train to our gate and said our goodbyes to the kids. All had smiles and a part of my heart felt happy that they all seemed as ready as we were to go get the rest of our family and come home. Until it was time to walk away. I turned to see Levi fighting to run down the hallway with us which broke my heart and instantly brought tears to my eyes. I didn’t want to turn to look at them again so I could be brave for them. When I finally got far enough away that I didn’t think they could see my face I turened back around but they were gone which triggered even more tears. We stepped onto the tram and when the doors opened they were on the other side waving at us. I saw tears in their eyes as they all waved and the doors closed. Such a hard moment, I cant even really begin to explain. We rode it to security and the first man we came to asked why I was crying and asked who we were leaving behind? I told him our children and he half laughed and said well your not going to be gone forever right? I knew he was trying to cheer me up but that wasn’t going to happen. I told him we were adopting and that we would be gone for a little less than three weeks and he said, “oh yea, that is a long time.” Thankfully we went through all of our security check points and all other points with no problems at all. In fact when we got to Chicago I went to the bathroom and was surprised to see clear seat cover on the toilet that changed with just a wave of the hand!!! When I came out I asked Josh if he has seen them and he didn’t believe me so he had to go back in himself and check them out! Okay yea, so I told you we aren’t world travelers! LOL

Once in Chicago we skyped with the kids which was so hard. We heard Emma sobbing in the background which broke out hearts and she wouldn’t come on the computer. Eventually she calmed down and showed us her brave face.

 We were also a little puzzled about what to do with the hot towels they handed us on our way to Beijing, but when all else fails, steal glances at what  everyone else is doing…okay so we’re taking a “hot bath”.  The flight itself was very uneventful. Josh and I were trying to enjoy the long flight there since we knew there was a very good chance the flight home may not be as enjoyable.  Everything went smooth the food was not too bad and we met a sweet young Chinese girl that was happy to talk to us about the adoption. And the flight wasn’t too crowded and the row we sat in had five across and there was 4 of us to begin with but one person moved up a row so we ended up with just 3…plenty of leg room.
We landed safely in Beijing earlier than expected and went through cutoms easier than we imagined. In fact, Josh’s cousin Ben told us foreigners don’t usually pay attention to customs, just walk though but we stopped and asked the guy and he said just put one bag through, which ended up pulling off part of the machine…ummm I guess it’s not used much! Ben met us and we went to the car. The air was VERY thick! And
And the driving wasn’t too bad, but maybe because I had expected it to be a little nuts. A lot of horn honking, which is more out of respect for the other driver, letting them know your coming move out of the way, and lines on the road, eh they are more fun to drive on top of! Red lights, obey them if you want but if you’re a huge truck carrying coal, well your bigger so go through it! So basically there are lights signs and lines, but they are only suggestions. We ended up getting back to Ben’s apartment where we crashed pretty hard. It was a cold night as China’s government controls when the heat comes on and it hadn’t yet so it was about 60 degrees in the building with cold tile floor. I took Melatonin and slept till 5am and then again till about 8am.

It was a long and hard day, but we were both so thankful for the many many texts, emails, facebook status’ and comments we got from all of you! They really did honestly carry us through the whole trip. With every message I felt like someone was right next to us cheering us on and pushing us to China! Thank you so very much for your love and support!!!

 the driving wasn’t too bad, but maybe

No comments:

Post a Comment